Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Big Move



First, let me just say that I think Stephen Hawking is an extremely intelligent man. And that automatically doles some credibility to whatever this man says. So today, when I read that Stephen Hawking believes that in order for the human race to survive we must find a way to inhabit other planets within the next 100 years, I believe it. This man knows his stuff. He knows stuff that I don't know. I think he knows stuff that only he knows.

Stephen Hawking's reasoning is, "Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of." The funny thing is that two of the three are man-made and global warming could even be argued to be at least partially man-made, too. So, basically, humans need to leave Earth not because of catastrophic comets, invading aliens, or a great lion revolution, but because humans can not live together. We run the risk of nuking each other if we stay here much longer.

Here's the thing. What's moving to another planet going to change? We could still kill each other on Mars. The only reasonable solution is that we each get our own individual planets. And f you all. I call Saturn.

Just so you know: Alan Guth, a physics professor at MIT rebuts, "I would still think that an underground base, for example in Antarctica, would be easier to build than building on the moon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home