Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Arrested Development In Your Own Home



Arrested Development Season 2 dropped on DVD today and I was fortunate enough to grab the last copy from Best Buy's shelves and walking out of the store it was as if I had attached a string to my soul and it just carried me all the way home. What a great world we live in, where not even a full year after the season has ended we can own and watch any episode we so desire. Sadly, it wasn't always like that. There was a time not too long ago where a child born after Maude had ended could only smile and imagine how wonderful it must have been.

In fact, looking back into my own personal past, I remember the year of Seinfeld's last season. A panic spread over me like nothing I'd ever felt before. I had always assumed Jerry, Elaine, Kramer, and George would be with me forever. And when that evil label of "Final Season" was branded on Seinfeld I realized there may be a day in my life where I'm fired from my job or have a fever or a broken leg and Seinfeld wouldn't be there for me. I began taping furiously every Thursday. I'd even tape the daily repeats at 7 pm and sometimes I'd be lucky enough to find a staticky channel that played an episode at 7:30 pm and I'd tape that. Yes, that's right, Seinfeld had already been syndicated at that time, signaling that it would be played on and on even after the series finished taping. But, even the promise of syndicated reruns wasn't enough to fill the void. To think that there would be no more, it was just too much for a guy to handle. And add onto that the fact that I was about to graduate from high school. Seinfeld wouldn't even be there to see me through the first year of college. Here it had raised me up all through high school and now, as I prepared to enter the next big step of my life, it was ditching me. I felt like an orphan at the edge of the world, abandoned and forgotten. The only reminder of my life being a series of five VHS tapes-staticky reminders of the joy that had once been.

BUT NO MORE!! No child will be denied the happiness only frequent viewings of Maude could provide just because nature wouldn't let them out of the womb until after the series finished airing. In fact, no child will be denied Gidget, Major Dad, or The New Kids On The Block cartoon series. So, you can see DVD sets are a curse as well as a blessing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Baz said...

shane- maybe you want to change the image? it looks like we're having an arrested development dvd giveaway.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home