Monday, November 21, 2005

furry gouters!

Whenever I daydream on my halcyon days in Britagne, my thoughts invariably prance about, from the fortified walls of Concarneau, to the outdoor markets of Hennebont, to the middle-age harbor charm of St. Gustan, but the one constant that guides my wandering nostalgia is a cheap bag of french cookies known as Furry Gouters.

"Furry what?", you said. "What gouters?", said others. Furry. Gouters.

Furry gouters are basically just cookies, but they're dirt cheap. The last bag I bought was before the days of the Eruo, and came in at just under 4 Francs, which translated to about 50 cents. That's for a whole bag of gouters, mind you, not just a single or double wrapped Little Debbie job.

I was talking with Chad Bender, the ex-Animal Clubber now working in France, and he mentioned that Furry Gouters have taken a back seat to a new product: Gouters. Just gouters. These cookies are, in Chad's exact words, "awful", and you have to "cover them in nutella to make them" palatable.

So here's to Furry Gouters. Wherever they may be. Please, please, please don't be gone forever. When I land in Paris in March, I fully expect you to be there, holding a sign that says, "Balzer. Taste, right this way."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home