Tuesday, November 22, 2005

There's No Chanty For This

As I was driving down lake shore drive to my stress echo at Northwestern this morning, I had a thought.

Fishermen are hyper-competitive, right? Do you think that the fishermen that worked the Great Lakes had an inferiority complex? Like, at the FisherCon, they all get together and tell stories about their fishing and what not....(dream sequence noise)

FISHERMAN 1: Arr! Forty foot waves! Wind gusts of 60 knots! And we snagged 46 tons of king crab! Arrr!

FISHERMAN 2: ARR! Well WE had FIFTY foot waves! Wind gusts of 75 knots! And we snagged 70 tons of king crab! ARRR!

FISHERMAN 3: ARRRRR!!! We had FOUR HUNDRED FOOT WAVES! Wind gusts of A MILLION KNOTS! And we snagged 4 TRILLION TONS OF KING CRAB! ARRRRRR!!!!!

LAKE ERIE FISHERMAN: We caught some trout. I think they're poisonous. *weeping*

In case you couldn't tell, I can't separate my seafaring stereotypes. If you work on a boat, you talk like a pirate. Also, I'm assuming there aren't any fish left in the great lakes, which is why I used past-tense when referring to Great Lakes Fishermen. And, according to the internet, The Great Lakes are just as deadly as any other body of water. So, there's not a whole lot of merit to my thought- but once one gets the image of a Fisherman Conference in their head, it's hard to stop the intellectual bleeding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home