Tuesday, July 19, 2005

High School, Schmigh School

The past few days, I've been getting all nostalgic and have been leafing through my yearbooks and reminiscing about life in Grand Valley High School (You can order a current yearbook here and I strongly encourage you to do so. Who knows what memories of others you might be missing?). And while, the stroll down memory lane gave me the expected warm feeling, I also picked up an unexpected reminder of how young I looked. How young my whole class looked, in fact. And maybe it's just me. But, the seniors of my freshmen year look like they're seniors. And some of them look like they could walk into a liquor store without anyone even looking twice at them. My senior class, however, looks like maybe, at the oldest, we're freshmen. Even the kids with facial hair. Is it just me and my class?

No, because my brother's class, only one year ahead of mine, looks young. Not as young as mine, I suppose, but still too young to be graduating. Then, my younger sisters' classes both look incredibly young, too. And I think of Kevin Arnold on the Wonder Years and how young and out of place he looked in high school and that was in the 1970's. But then, to play devil's advocate, all the other people in his school looked a lot older than him. But, to play devil's advocate to the devil's advocate, in reality, all those people were actors of various ages cast between 1988-1993 and some could have quite possibly been in their 30's.

But, to digress away from The Wonder Years and back to my point, I guess we all think of ourselves as too young because, no matter how old you actually are, you still never really feel like you're ready to graduate and leave all that you know. All those who come behind you will always look young because how could they be ready to face the real-world when you're not?

Why do older classes look older then? Maybe to remind us that no matter how old we get, we'll never be as old as them? I'm not sure about that one. Umm...

Let's focus on an easier question:
A table and two chairs all get rabies. They're locked in a steel cage together, but not until after they've had their legs sawed off. Who survives?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home