Sunday, September 25, 2005

sad football

football season is great. until you lose. or your team loses. like today. my team, the pittsburgh steelers played a sloppy game and lost to the new england patriots 23-20. thus, i'm sad.

whenever the steelers lose, it's like a light goes out in my heart. the possibilities, which once seemed endless, now seem decidedly finite. the hugs of friends seem colder, the taste of beer, bitter. i was going to adopt a cat today, but what kind of a pet owner could i possibly be if the steelers lost? i can't even cheer my team on to victory.

i guess i'll drag the mangled remains of my self-respect to work tomorrow and shove aside any dreams of super bowl glory, taking up my stack of database queries and code with a bit more accuracy than ben roethlisberger showed today. but not much more. i don't think i'm capable of that.

i know, i know. it's just a game. there's always next week. it's a marathon, not a sprint. whatever. try saying that to yourself when your team loses. cheap maxims don't help much when the sun shines only darkness.

i'm going to take some to reflect on my life now. wish me luck. maybe if you're a patriots fan it'll work.

*crying softly*

1 Comments:

Blogger Baz said...

well, maybe i was wrong. true love can shine through anything, even your football team losing.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home