Monday, November 28, 2005

emusic acht-mented

It's emusic time again, and my trip to Pittsburgh meant a visit to Paul's CD's and to Joe Stile's house, which means I have even more music to tell you about. Here's what's served up so far:

Vashti Bunyan: Lookaftering: A crisis of confidence in the 1960's kept Vashti from following up her debut until 2005. Recent guest appearances on Animal Collective and Devendra Banhart albums gave this album terrific run-up press, and it doesn't disappoint. An hours worth of trans-classic folk with a delicate, pleasant voice makes for great winter listening.

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane: Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane: The recent Carnegie Hall release put T-Monk and J.C. on the map again (as if they ever left), and this classic sprouted up on emusic as well. Hipster jazz. Gotta love that.

Pianosaurus: Groovy Neighborhood: This is a band that plays only toy instruments; toy drums, toy pianos, toy guitars, etc. It makes for an interesting story, but it's almost impossible to listen to the whole way through.

Junior Senior: Hey Hey My My Yo Yo: I'm going to be honest here; Joe gave me this one, and I don't know if it's an actual 80's CD or a group that's just riding the style. Either way, it's as fun as a booty shake could be, and laugh out loud funny at times.

Palace Music: Viva Last Blues: I'm a huge Will Oldham fan, and haven't had this album since the mid 90's. I've missed it dearly. Now it's back, and I can rock out to "Work Hard/Play Hard" all I want. huzzah!

Mogwai: Government Commisions: Culled from several Peel Sessions over the years, this is as fine a collection of live Mogwai as I've ever heard. Sad math rock, yes, but still pretty awesome.

Animal Collective: Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished/Danse Manatee: This two album set leaves only "Here Comes The Indian" left to complete my AC collection. Spirit is much stronger than Danse. Hey! That's like a poem! Or a maxim!

There's much, much more, but I haven't had time to listen to much of it. Plus, I still have like 30 tracks left to download. Onward!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Baz,

Ever listen to Regina Spektor?
Try "Soviet Kitsch."

5:47 PM  
Blogger Baz said...

not yet. it's on my list, now though. yr the best, wagstaff. i miss you.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Baz said...

gotta love that incorrect use of a comma don't, you?

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home