Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Am I Depressed Again?

Well, I stopped going to therapy and taking zoloft and all, so the most likely answer is "yes". But depression has it's upsides. Notably, getting a prescription to swim with dolphins.

Turns out swimming with dolphins can have a significant impact on depression symptoms. The study backs a theory known as Biophylia- the notion that a human's mental health is closely tied to their relationship with nature. In a fit of revisionist patient-ism, I'll state that some of my brightest moments when I was really depressed were when I was in beautifully non-urban settings, like the mountains of Idaho, the pine parks of Washington, or the Appalachian foothills. Playing with my sister's dogs always made me happy, and the mere idea of purchasing a cat had me floating for a couple weeks.

Sorry there's no joke to be found here. I just really thought the idea of swimming with dolphins being healthy was really neat. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home